A reefer truck is another term for a refrigerated truck. Reefers are used to freight temperature-sensitive items like perishable food and beverage products. Temperature control capabilities help transport goods safely and preserve their quality, making reefer trucking a vital component of the supply chain in many industries.
What Is Reefer Trucking Used For?
Reefer trucks enable companies with temperature-sensitive items to transport cargo at the right temperature, guaranteeing items are shipped according to prescribed temperatures. This truck has a refrigerated temperature and typically runs chilled at 34-38° and frozen at -10° which is used by various industries, including food service, grocery and pharmaceutical.
Typical items reefer trucks transport include:
- Frozen IQF
- Pharmaceutical products
How Do Reefer Trucks Work?
Refrigerated trucking ensures items are transported at a specific temperature, allowing them to remain in the same condition from loading to delivery.
During reefer transportation, the unit on the semi maintains a set temperature by collecting and pumping heat, which is done through an onboard diesel-powered generator or cryogenic cooling. The refrigerated truck works on a closed system, so the fuel consumption of the trailer is not affected by how the trucker drives.
The four main components of a reefer truck are the:
- Expansion valve
The parts work together to ensure the container remains climate-controlled during transportation. Reefer trucks are not designed to cool cargo — only to maintain the cargo’s temperature at the time of loading.
Benefits of Using Reefer Trucks
Reefer trucks are a crucial component of the supply chain. Their benefits include:
- Add protection: Reefer transportation protects perishable goods against weather conditions and spoilage. Food, beverage and pharmaceutical industries rely on temperature control to ship cargo safely.
- Ship various products: Many industries leverage refrigerated cargo transportation to ship a wide range of products.
- Meet high demand: There is an increased demand for produce, meat, seafood, dairy, personal care and pharmaceutical products. Industries can meet the demand with refrigerated freight shipping.
- Comply with regulations: Perishable items, chemicals and pharmaceuticals have strict temperature-control requirements. Professional reefer trucks can help ensure regulatory compliance.
Hauling Reefer Freight
To ensure perishable items remain at the required temperature, reefer truck operators and shipping companies must:
- Monitor loading and unloading.
- Verify the temperature is maintained.
- Pre-set the freight trailer’s temperature.
- Identify the various windows of acceptable temperatures for the cargo.
Additional monitoring and temperature control ensures products are protected during transport and not affected by factors like the weather.
Contact Us for Temperature-Controlled LTL and FTL Transportation
Flagship Logistics Group has over 30 years of experience with proven high-quality industry standards. You can count on us to safely deliver your products on time and at a competitive price. Benefit from access to our nationwide carrier network when you partner with us — we’re ready to freight your products 24/7.